Surgical correction of the areola or areola surgery is an operation aimed to correct the size and shape of the areola. It can be carried out as a separate surgery or combined with a breast lift, breast plastic surgery or nipple correction.
- Areola asymmetry.
- Blurred areola zone which does not have clear contours.
- Large areolas.
- Areola and nipples disproportion.
General contraindications: mastopathy, cancer, cardiovascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder, patients under 18 years old, pre-arranged pregnancy, recent lactation.
Methods of areola correction
- Circumferential correction is used in order to reduce the size of the areola, two circumferential incisions are made in this case. One incision – along with the contour of the areola, the second incision – closer to the nipple. Excess tissue is removed, the remaining part of the areola is stitched to non-pigmented tissues.
- In case of sector or partial correction (resection), a triangular piece of the areola is removed and the incision edges are stitched.
- During breast lift or breast reduction surgeries, the nipple-areola complex is shifted upwards and excess tissues are removed at this time.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1 hour.
Duration of the surgery: from 30 min. up to 1 hour. The procedure can take place on an outpatient basis (the patient goes home after the procedure) or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedating medications.
Recovery period. The stitches are removed in 5-7 days.
Side effects: reduced breast sensation, slight soreness.
Risks: infectious complications, reduced sensation, asymmetry, incomplete areola correction, loss of breastfeeding possibility.
areola correction (partial)
areola correction (circumferential)
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 2 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.