Orthodontology is a section of dentistry that allows a patient at any age to get a healthy, beautiful smile, and normal occlusion (joining of teeth). Orthodontic treatment requires a high, professional qualification. Correction of bite provides the equal load shaping on the row of teeth. It allows the teeth to wear off less, preventing the diseases of the jaw joints.
Orthodontology before and after
Orthodontia is a section of dentistry that deals with the correction of defects of the maxillofacial skeleton and teeth. Due to orthodontic treatment, patients have the opportunity to correct the bite, get even and beautiful teeth, improve the health of the oral cavity and the body as a whole. An orthodontist is a specialist with knowledge and experience, and therefore a practitioner in this field. There are many doctors in various areas of specialization at “Certus” clinic. So, if you are interested in the experienced orthodontist, you will find such an expert here.
What is orthodontia?
As a section of dentistry, orthodontics owes its name to the Greek language. The word combination was taken from this language and its word-based translation is a “straight tooth” or “right tooth”. Orthodontic problems are very common among the population, so an orthodontist is a sought-after specialist and many patients apply to him. At the same time, orthodontia is developing, that allows it to offer more and more opportunities for effective treatment.
Often there is the question at what age you can go to the orthodontist in order to begin the elimination of the dental system defects. Previously it was considered that treatment could begin no earlier than adolescence. In fact, even today there are methods allowing correction among both children and adults.
Of course, orthodontology copes with its tasks better dealing with children and adolescents. Initially, parents need to make sure how and what their child eats, whether there is enough solid food in the diet. If the child has problems with chewing, he constantly sucks the finger and breathes through the mouth, perhaps he already has difficulties of orthodontic nature. The orthodontist will recommend a complex of treatment-and-prophylactic procedures with special bite plates and training devices that will help to prevent the development of serious problems in the future.
If the nonfunctional occlusion is already formed, the orthodontist will determine how and when to start treatment. Theoretically, dental occlusion can be corrected even in advanced age. It depends on the patient’s quantity of teeth, and condition of the periodontal tissues. Naturally, the older a person is, the lower the compensation abilities of the body.
In each case, the orthodontist decides which dental correction system can be applied. It is necessary to examine the patient in order to know exactly which method of treatment will be the most effective. The orthodontist, working at “Certus” clinic in Kyiv, conducts consultations aimed to determine orthodontic problems and identify the most optimal ways to eliminate them.
Сases where the services of an orthodontist are required
An experienced orthodontist determines whether a patient has indications for orthodontic treatment only after history taking, clinical examination, analysis of oral health, creating of dental cast model, and an X-ray study.
Treatment by the orthodontist may be necessary in such cases:
- Distal occlusion. In this case, the upper front teeth protrude strongly forward compared to the lower teeth.
- Cross-bite occlusion. The upper teeth do not go down slightly in front of the lower ones due to the weak development of one of the sides of any of the jaws.
- Dystopia. The teeth of the lower and upper jaws are misplaced, dislocated from their normal position.
- Mesial bite. The upper jaw is less developed, while the lower jaw protrudes.
- Open occlusion. There is an interspace between the lower and upper jaws in case of jaw relation.
- Disturbance of the teeth. It refers to the hole in the tooth range, which has appeared as a result of improper placement or loss of the teeth.
- Close position of the teeth. There are more teeth in a tooth range than it is available under ideal occlusion.
Once you or your child have problems with the occlusion, set up an appointment with an orthodontist in Kyiv. He will be able to say how to correct the defect after the examination. Even if you are not sure whether there is a problem, the orthodontist’s consultation will not hurt.
Why is it necessary to correct the occlusion?
Orthodontology aimed to help patients with a tendency to development of pathological occlusion, as well as those who already have such problems. Orthodontic care is necessary for several reasons:
- The disturbed bite is a problem with the occlusal load distribution. If some teeth are misplaced or absent, other teeth may take on their role. It can cause excessive susceptibility to dental caries, loss of teeth, difficulties in dental prosthetics in the future. Also, there are common issues of excessive teeth abrasion, periodontal diseases. The disturbed bite can cause even frequent headaches.
- Many people feel self-conscious due to malocclusion of teeth. It can have an impact on communication, personal life, a career of a person.
- Occlusion abnormality can lead to various diseases of the intestinal tract. After all, the occlusion affects the process of chewing and swallowing significantly. A person may be unsuccessfully treated by gastroenterologists and other specialists, but he is not aware that first of all, it is necessary to visit the orthodontist.
The work of the orthodontist is aimed to correct various bite defects. Therefore, if there are such problems, the assistance of this expert should not be avoided. It will help to prevent serious health problems in the future.
What methods of treatment does an orthodontist use?
There are special methods for correction of teeth position in the dentition. Thanks to them, the correct development of the jawbone and functioning of the facial muscles are normalized. It is about specific dental structures of different types. They are necessary with a view to bring reasonable pressure on the teeth and jaws, as well as correct them. The orthodontist determines which treatment will be the most effective in each case. A certain period is set for the patient to wear a dental structure aimed to correct the teeth. It depends on the complexity of the case.
Braces are used as fixed appliances to correct the teeth. They are small clips attached to each tooth and joined together. Braces can be internal (glossal or “invisible”), attached to the lingual side of the teeth, and vestibular ones (attached to the outer part of the teeth).
Braces can be made of different materials:
- Metal braces. This kind of braces is made of titanium, an alloy of nickel and titanium, stainless steel. They seem to be not very aesthetically pleasing, but they are time proved reliable appliances. It is possible to use colored ligatures with the view of decorating such braces. The orthodontist performs such work by the patients’ request in Kyiv.
- Sapphire and ceramic braces. It is possible to choose the desired shade of the appliance in order to match the color of the enamel perfectly. It should be considered these materials are more fragile, so such braces require special care.
The cost of braces depends on the materials they are made of. Metal braces are the most affordable.
Orthodontia offers removable appliances as well. They can be removed before a meal or while tooth brushing, and adjusted if necessary. In fact, these are special bite plates. They are usually used in order to treat children since their jaws are still in the process of formation.
- Appliances for one jaw. They are fixed to the lower or upper jaw. These bite plates should be worn twenty-four hours straight.
- Appliances for both jaws. These bite plates are custom-made impressions worn at night. They are used in order to affect the bone tissue where the roots are.
There are other types of removable appliances that can be offered by the orthodontist. For example, using pre-orthodontic trainers, not only the teeth can be aligned, but the ligaments and muscles involved in the right sound pronouncing, food chewing can be strengthened as well.
There are also prophylactic prostheses, which are safe, hypoallergic, lightweight appliances. They help to prevent the development of defects and correct existing occlusion disturbance in the child.
The experienced orthodontist in Kyiv
The task of our orthodontist, the expert at “Certus” clinic in Kyiv, is counseling services for patients with orthodontic problems, examination, selection of the most effective methods for occlusion correction, patient management.
The orthodontist faces with high requirements since orthodontia is the medical specialty that requires in-depth knowledge, extensive experience, and permanent self-development. So, our expert meets the standards to a full degree.
Consultation of an orthodontist
Consultation of an orthodontist with the analysis of OPTG, diagnostic models and preparation of a treatment plan.
Orthodontic device Bioblock І-ІІ (one jaw)
An orthodontic device Bioblock ІІІ
Orthodontic apparatus of double-jaw action Twin Block
Fixation of metal braces (one jaw)
Fixation of ceramic braces (one jaw)
Fixation of sapphire braces (one jaw)
Fixing self-ligating brackets (one jaw)
Diagnostics and Treatment Plan for Alainers
A non-removable six-tooth retarder
Removing the braces, polishing the teeth (one jaw)
Professional oral hygiene using a bracket system
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) – 300 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.