Periodontics is a section of dentistry which explores the examination, treatment, and prevention of periodontal diseases (tissues around the tooth). Therefore, an expert working in this field is a periodontist.
Periodont involves the tissues and organs that surround the tooth. It refers to the gums and bone tissue, where the tooth root is located, as well as its fiber apparatus. Modern periodontics has effective methods for the treatment and prevention of periodontal diseases, which allow coping with almost any diseases. Visiting a doctor on time is the main factor for the effectiveness of the treatment.
The following symptoms may be the reason to visit a periodontist
Many health problems could have been avoided if enough attention had been given to oral hygiene. There are a number of symptoms that should get a person’s attention and lead to visiting a periodontist:
- the gingival recession which led to the exposure of the tooth neck;
- sore, itchy or swollen gums;
- occasional gums bleeding (for example, when biting an apple, brushing teeth, etc.);
- bad breath;
- mouth ulcer;
- loose tooth;
- dental tartar.
Any of these general symptoms refer to periodontal disease. Still, each disease has specific signs.
There are main periodontal diseases
Periodontal diseases may have different causes. The most common are:
- avoidance of high-quality oral hygiene;
- coffee overindulgence and excessive smoking;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- bite disturbance, deformed dentition;
- unsatisfactory dental treatment provided previously;
- vitamin deficiency, immune alterations;
- genetic disposition to the development of such diseases;
- improper use of dental appliances and materials in prosthetics.
A periodontist treats three principal diseases:
- Parodontosis is a long-lasting disease of the mucous membrane around the teeth area. The disease may not be evident for a long time. Although, there are changes that may even be irreversible at some point. Dystrophic disorders occur and affect the vascular system. As a result, the gum becomes noticeably paler and begins to expose. Quite often, patients complain of excessive sensitivity of teeth to hot and/or cold food and drinks. After a while, it can cause teeth to loosen.
- Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease characterized by alveolar tissues lesion. The main symptom of this disease is the formation of a periodontal pocket. This problem never passes on its own, therefore, it needs qualified treatment. If nothing is done, the teeth will become loose and fall out. The most common causes of periodontitis are abnormal occlusion and an advanced stage of gingivitis as a result of incorrect dental prosthetics.
- Gingivitis is a disease of the soft dental tissues characterized by inflammation. It is the most common reason for visiting a periodontist. In most cases, poor oral hygiene is the ordinary cause of this disease. Tooth deposits harden gradually and become a breeding ground for bacteria, which cause inflammation. Gingivitis can be recognized by swelling of the gums and foul breath. If you visit a periodontist, get treatment on time, and follow all the necessary preventive recommendations, gingivitis will no longer bother you.
All periodontal diseases need professional treatment. A periodontist has everything for it.
Methods of treatment used in periodontics
Periodontal diseases are treated quite simply during the initial stages of development. The doctor performs professional teeth cleaning and conducts therapy aimed at reducing inflammation.
Advanced stages of parodontosis and periodontitis are treated in a comprehensive manner. At first, it is necessary to remove all dental deposits, then carry out debridement and antiseptic treatment of the oral cavity. Pharmaceutical and instrumental treatment are provided as well. It is possible to use ultrasound, Air-flow technology, and other methods, depending on the patient’s problem and pathology characteristics.
Treatment of parodontosis involves the use of special therapeutic ointments, deep cleaning with the help of gingival curettage, physiotherapy. Sometimes surgery or prosthetics is indicated.
The treatment of periodontitis implies drug-induced treatment with antiseptics and professional teeth cleaning. If the disease has reached an advanced stage, surgical treatment may be required.
Gingivitis involves comprehensive treatment as well. On a mandatory basis, a periodontist provides professional dental cleaning, removes plaque, prescribes anti-inflammatory therapy and special medications (application of therapeutic gels, medicinal gargle, special toothpaste).
In certain cases, a periodontist may resort to teeth splinting. Due to this method, the doctor restores the dentition health by eliminating the looseness of a few teeth or the entire dentition. It allows us to strengthen the teeth and prevent their falling out. Shunt procedures are indicated within the advanced stage of periodontitis. However, this procedure is indicated not only for loosen teeth. It can be used in other cases, as it helps to prevent the development of gingival inflammation.
If you need specialized medical consultation by a competent periodontist, arrange a visit to a specialist at “Certus” clinic in Kyiv. We will provide the necessary diagnostic maneuvers and select the best methods of treatment and prevention.
Consultation on a treatment plan
Toothbrushing Air Flow
Integrated tooth brushing Air Flow + ultrasound (2 jaws)
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 2 hours) – 200 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.
- Aesthetic surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Beauty Injections
- ENT Services
Our experts will contact you soon. Your contact information will not be passed to the third persons.