Adenoid removal surgery is required in pediatric patients in most cases. Pharyngeal tonsils (adenoids) are meant to protect the nasal cavity from germs, bacteria and microorganisms. In case of inflammation and swelling, the adenoids block the nasal cavity and make breathing difficult.
Indications for adenoidectomy
After ENT consultation and elimination of contraindications, it is often recommended to remove adenoids in case of:
- Chronic adenoiditis (infectious inflammation), leading to an enlargement of pharyngeal tonsils.
- Child snoring during a sleep and if there is a breathhold, after a sore throat as well.
- Oxygen lack.
- A risk that the infection will grow to otitis and a sense of hearing will deteriorate.
- Signs of deformation of the facial skeleton.
Types of adenoidectomy
Leading clinics performing adenoid removal surgeries use both classical and modern methods of adenotomy in Kiev. In “Certus” clinic coblation adenoidectomy is carried out. The tonsils are excised with the help of cold plasma produced by a special device – a coblator.
The advantages of this technique are as follows:
- Quick and almost painless removal of the necessary areas.
- Absence of bleeding.
- High impact accuracy due to the thin nozzle of the coblator.
- Low tissue injury since the temperature of exposure does not exceed 70℃ (compared to laser therapy).
- The procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
- There is no need for hospitalization.
- Minimal period of rehabilitation.
The second way to remove the enlarged adenoid tissues, that our doctors practice, is endoscopic adenotomy. It involves the use of a video endoscope that is inserted through the nasal passages. It allows the surgeon to control the course of the operation through the camera. Another method used for resection of adenoids is traditional, surgical one. In this case, pharyngeal tonsils are cut with the aid of an adenotome device.
The cost of adenoids removal depends on the method of surgery and it becomes known after the ENT consultation. In “Certus” clinic, coblation adenoidectomy and endoscopic adenotomy are more expensive than surgical resection of the tonsils. Approximate prices for adenoids removal in our clinic are presented in the section of the same name.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination and ENT consultation: 1-3 days.
Duration of the surgery: 30 min. to 1 hour. The surgery can take place on an outpatient basis or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia.
*Recovery period. In case of coblation adenotomy it takes up to 5 days, in case of surgical adenotomy – 7-10 days.
There is a sensation of pain in the throat and nasopharynx, fever. Nutritional care consisting of soft, fluid diet is assigned to the patient. The patient should follow the recommendations of the doctor during the recovery period and after convalescence in order to minimize risks.
*Risks: backset (repeated enlargement of adenoids), inflammatory processes.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
Adenoidectomy (cost of anesthesia is not included)
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.