Prosthetic dentistry is a field of dentistry, which includes the diagnostics and treatment of disintegration of the dentofacial system. It is engaged in the functional recovery of the dental apparatus in the absence of one or several teeth as well as their total absence. Orthopedics deals with the reproduction of chewing efficiency in case of dental abrasion and change in the teeth position, as well as shape and color correction aimed at providing a more aesthetic look to your smile.
Orthopedic dentistry before and after
Prosthetic dentistry is a section of dentistry which deals with the diagnostics and treatment of various defects of the dentofacial system. There is a wide range of dental services, including reproduction of one or several teeth, recovery of the dental apparatus function (when there is the incorrect position of the teeth, their abrasion, etc.), correction of the teeth color and shape. The main task of orthopedics is dental prosthetics (implantation), which involves various techniques and materials today. As a result, it is impossible to differentiate the restored teeth from natural ones, which are beautiful and healthy.
Certus clinic provides various services in prosthetic dentistry. Among these services is the placement of veneers, dental crowns, dental bridges, lumineers. There are all types of dental prosthetics at our clinic in Kyiv.
Indications for dental prosthetics
The assistance of an orthopedist is required in the following cases:
- Severe damage of the part of the tooth by a crown. Usual filling materials and dental crowns will not help even if one side of the tooth is ruined. It is enough to apply micro prosthodontics techniques in order to improve this situation.
- Complete destruction of a tooth crown. If there is only a tooth root, then prosthodontics with dental cores can be used.
- Teeth abrasion of a pathological nature. The orthopedist may use dental crowns or veneers in such cases.
- Adentia – completely absent dentition. To a large extent, the use of certain methods of dental prosthetics depends on the characteristics of the defect. Treatment can be performed with the aid of removable and fixed appliances.
- Such defects as enamel darkening, teeth stains, cracks, chips, the presence of “smoker’s calculus” (yellow shade of the enamel), interspaces and gaps between the teeth, dental distortion can be corrected with the help of micro prosthodontics as well.
- Numerous teeth row defects. Different dental appliances can be used if there are many defects in the tooth range. It depends on a considerable number of factors which one to prefer. Therefore, the competent orthopedist will be able to recommend the most appropriate option.
There are no absolute contraindications for dental prosthetics since it is possible to select an appropriate one for a particular patient from a variety of techniques and appliances. The principle of modern orthopedics is dental maintenance. All efforts should be directed towards this.
What methods does orthopedics offer?
There are two types of appliances in prosthetic dentistry:
- Removable. There are partial or full dentures. They can be used for a partial or total loss of teeth.
- Fixed. These appliances are firmly fixed and can be removed only by the orthopedist. Among them are ceramic inlays and onlays, veneers, dental crowns, lumineers.
There are different purposes of the treatment within the frame of prosthetic dentistry:
- Implant-based rehabilitation. It refers to the treatment that helps to replace a lost tooth or several teeth with implants inserted into the jaw bone. Such implant serves as a support for a false tooth.
- Improvement of defects associated with abnormal occlusion. The correct position of the tooth row, full chewing function is restored due to removable and fixed appliances.
- Aesthetic rehabilitation. Lumineers and veneers are placed in order to improve a smile.
Dental prosthetics can be categorized into micro and macro prosthodontics. Lumineers, veneers, inlays, dental crowns, inlay cores could be classified as micro prosthodontics. Macro prosthodontics involves the placement of removable dentures, dental bridges, nylon and elastic prostheses, splinting appliances, dental implants, bugel prostheses.
Our orthopedist places removable and fixed appliances, as well as dental crowns, veneers, lumineers. High-quality, safe, hypoallergenic materials and products are used for this.
Dental crowns in prosthetic dentistry
A tooth crown is a filling that covers the tooth from all sides. It is placed on the tooth like a thimble or a cap. Dental crowns are necessary for protecting the teeth weakened or damaged by caries. Why are filling materials not inserted in such cases? The fillings are not effective in case of significant tooth decay since the thinned parts of the tooth will not be able to keep the filling. As for the ceramic dental crowns, they can not only prevent further tooth decay but also allow to improve the aesthetics of a smile.
The best solution for today is dental crowns, which do not include metals. The most modern dental crowns are made from glass ceramics, zirconium dioxide, feldspathic ceramics, hybrid ceramics, glass ceramics enhanced with zirconium dioxide. There is a certain price level for each type of dental crown.
Features and advantages of veneers
Veneers are thin, but very durable shells fixed on the front of the tooth and they improve the tooth instantly. It is necessary to remove the enamel slightly in order to place veneers. However, it should be removed not as much as in case of placing the crown.
Veneers were invented by Charles Pincus, an American dentist, in 1928. He got the idea to use ceramic onlays for the teeth of Hollywood actors in order to hide the imperfections of their smiles. After that, veneers have become associated with a perfect Hollywood smile.
There are such indications for veneers placement:
- uneven teeth;
- such defects as chips and cracks on the tooth surface (acquired or congenital);
- irregularly shaped teeth;
- enamel darkening and stains;
- yellow shade of the enamel caused by smoking, excessive consumption of tea and coffee;
- the shape of the grinding teeth looks like blades;
- interspaces and gaps between the teeth.
Ceramic veneers are manufactured in a dental laboratory, so it is necessary to visit a dentist several times. Composite veneers are made during one visit.
However, ceramic veneers have more advantages:
- there is satin gloss, the same as in the beautiful photos;
- they are able to retain the color for a very long time, usually for the entire period of their use. They are not colored due to coffee, wine, juice or other colored drinks;
- their service life is long, about 10-15 years. At the same time, composite veneers can serve from 4 to 7 years;
- they are biocompatible due to their physical features. As a result, they are similar to the functions of enamel and dentin.
There are also zirconia veneers made from ceramics and zirconia. As a result, the shells are very durable and ideal according to their appearance and characteristics. Although such veneers are quite expensive, they can serve for a long time up to 20 years.
It is necessary to fix the teeth, remove all traces of caries, reduce gum inflammation, remove tooth deposit and dental calculus before veneers placement.
Difference between veneers and lumineers
In the case of veneers placement, it is required to remove the enamel slightly, but it is not necessary for lumineers placement. They were invented as an alternative to veneers.
Important advantages of lumineers placement:
- there is no need to remove the enamel for the covering (lumineers are simply attached to the teeth);
- amazing aesthetic smile is guaranteed;
- lumineers can be removed at any time without bringing any harm to the teeth.
Lumineers are semitranslucent and glossy. They will not be able to help in the case of such serious defects as, enamel stains or enamel yellowness.
Lumineers placement is requested service in Kyiv. In “Certus” clinic it is performed by the highly qualified orthopedist with extensive experience in dentistry.
Dental bridgework is a type of fixed dentures that are designed to remove dentition defects. Such appliances are used if several consecutive teeth are decayed. They can be placed on the healthy teeth, which are separated by a distance and serve as support, as well as on the crowned teeth.
Porcelain fused to metal bridges are considered to be classic ones. They are simple and durable enough. There are disadvantages as well. For example, they shield the light passing through artificial teeth. It is required to file natural teeth essentially in order to place them.
Dental bridgeworks without metal are more refined. The dental bridges made from zirconium dioxide have four categories of transparency.
There are many other dental bridgeworks, and the orthopedist will be able to tell the patient about them in detail.
What are clasp prostheses?
Such prostheses are used when a patient does not have a large number of teeth, including those that should be situated one after another. They are mounted with a plastic base on a metal frame (dental arch or clasp), which gives the appliance more strength and reliability.
There are clasp prostheses with clamping or bar-fixation.
If you want to place removable or fixed dentures, dental crowns, veneers, clasp dentures, implants, lumineers or other appliances, arrange a visit to the orthopedist at “Certus” clinic in Kyiv. He will be able to advise the best option for dental prosthetics after the examination.
Consultation on a treatment plan
Fingerprinting with alginate mass
Removing a 2-layer fingerprint with a silicone mass (C-silicone)
Removing the impression with silicone mass (A-silicone)
Production of a temporary crown
Ceramic-metal crown with fixation
All-ceramic fixation crown
Ceramic tab made of ceramic press with fixation
Production and installation of veneer
Production of a partial removable laminar denture
Removable prosthesis with fixation on implants
Clasp prosthesis with supporting and retaining clasps
Clasp prosthesis with locks
Individual metal abutment
Standard metal abutment
Ceramic-metal crown on the implant
All-ceramic crown on implant
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 2 hours) – 200 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.