Genital mutilation or circumcision (circumcisio) is a surgical operation performed for children or adult male patients in order to remove a layer of skin (foreskin) that covers the head of the penis.
Indications for male circumcision
- The foreskin is very narrow and it covers the head of the penis tightly.
- Phimosis – a disease where the foreskin partially adheres to the head of the penis. As a result, the fenestra of the urinary tract can be closed, inflammatory process and pathology emerge.
- Paraphimosis – severe impaction of the glans penis due to a stenosed preputial mucosa, when unprompted retraction of the glans penis into the preputial sheath is impossible.
- Aesthetic purpose (for the attractiveness of the genital organs).
- Personal hygiene and reduction of the infection pressure.
- Reduction of the risk of penile cancer.
- Religious traditions (among Jews, Muslims).
General contraindications: cancer, cardiovascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder, inflammatory disorders of genital organs, venereal diseases, birth defects or anomalies of the penis.
There are several ways to remove the foreskin:
- The clamp method uses special tools, which are placed on the drawn foreskin behind the glans, in order not to damage the glans, then excess skin is removed. Another option of using clamps is to place them at the tissue edges instead of the stitches at the end of the surgery, in order that they fuse until complete healing.
- The sleeve resection method involves two separate circumferential incisions in the outer and inner zones of the foreskin, then a strip of skin, formed between the incisions, is removed. The method is indicated for patients with large subcutaneous veins, in this case, careful monitoring is needed in order to avoid severe bleeding.
- The dorsal slit method is recommended for phimosis or paraphimosis patients mainly.
- Laser circumcision allows to remove the tissues accurately and unbloody.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: in a shortened form, 1 day.
Duration of the surgery: from 30 min. up to 1 hour. The surgery can take place on an outpatient basis (the patient goes home after the procedure) or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedating medications.
Incision options: on the skin of the glans penis.
*Recovery period. The sutures are self-absorbable. Temporary side effects disappear in 1-2 weeks, it is necessary to apply bandages during that time. Patients can resume having intercourse in 1-2 months.
*Side effects: temporary pain, discomfort, swelling, decreased sensation, bleeding.
*Risks: hematomas, infectious complications, inflammation of genital organs, a formation of a skin intersection between the glans and the penis stem, unsatisfactory cosmetic effect.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
correction of penis shape
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.