Vasectomy (vasoresection) is a surgical operation for male sterilization by tying the deferent canals in male patients. Sterilization preserves the testes function in distinction from orchiotomy.
During the surgery, the vas deferens are cut and tied. Blocking of the deferent ducts occurs, they become separated from the penis.
In order to make sperm cells completely disappear from the seminal fluid after sterilization, it is necessary to have other 20-25 emissions of seminal fluid (ejaculations). During this period, it is worthwhile to use contraceptive methods, and then conduct a spermogram to confirm the absence of sperm.
Indications for vasectomy
- The most reliable option of contraception.
- A patient does not want to have children in the future.
- A patient is a carrier of complex hereditary disorders.
General contraindications: cancer, cardiovascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder.
Сoming to a decision to carry out vasectomy, the patient should take into account that after sterilization has been performed, it is almost impossible to restore impregnation capacity. The surgery for fertility restoration is very complicated and does not guarantee a result.
Peculiarities and methods of surgery
Vasectomy has a number of positive characteristics:
- It is a lifelong method of reliable contraception.
- It does not affect libido, erection, and orgasm.
- The function of sex hormones is preserved (including testosterone production).
- It does not require a long rehabilitation period.
There are two ways of vasectomy performing:
- Traditional – the testicular membrane is incised through small incisions on the scrotum in order to remove the vas deferens into the wound for further ligation;
- No-scalpel – the ducts are loosed through a puncture. This surgery reduces the risk of complications.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: in a shortened form, 1 day.
Duration of the surgery: up to 30 min. The surgery can take place on an outpatient basis (the patient goes home after the procedure) or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedating medications.
Incision options: on the scrotum.
*Recovery period. The sutures are self-absorbable. Temporary side effects disappear in 1-2 weeks. Patients can resume having intercourse after this period.
*Side effects: temporary pain, swellings, bruises.
*Risks: hematomas, infectious complications.
*Result: permanent, nonreversible.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.