Facial bone surgery
Orthognathic surgery is a type of surgery, the main purpose of which is to normalize the relations between the teeth (the so-called occlusion) and dental occlusion (jaw relation), remove asymmetry, restore facial harmony. Due to such surgeries, the quality of life, as well as the aesthetics of the patient's appearance, is improved.
Leading experts provide orthognathic surgery services at Certus clinic. We help within congenital and acquired pathologies of any complexity.
When is orthognathic intervention required?
The process of incorrect formation of the jaw position and dental bite takes place mainly within the period of 10-13 years of age. A number of reasons may contribute to this, among them are:
- congenital deficiency;
- hyperplasia (bone augmentation);
- hypoplasia (bone malformation) and other factors.
When the jaws are displaced, that affects the position of the soft tissues as well. There are changes in the cheeks, lips, nose, chin, cheekbones, face contour, which are identifying in the formation of the appearance and facial expression of a person.
Generally speaking, orthognathic surgery is indicated in such cases:
- facial asymmetry, provoked by disharmonious position, shape or size of the jaws;
- deformity of dentitions caused by impaired growth, formation, development of the bones of the facial skeleton;
- micrognathia (refers to hypoplasia of tissues), which can be both congenital and acquired one;
- excessive development of the lower jaw (hyperplasia), which causes bite disturbance and disharmonizes the face;
- previous ineffective orthodontic treatment.
Braces do not have a special effect in case of abnormal bite caused by the deformed position of the jaw. It means that we can talk about effective treatment only after returning the bones to their normal position. Orthognathic surgery is the most effective measure in such cases.
A doctor performs computed tomography of the head and upper neck, as well as makes photos of the face in different projections, dental cast model during the planning stage. At that time, a surgeon carries out three-dimensional modeling of the face, according to the results of a thorough examination. A patient can see the result he will get after the surgery and can express his wishes. In addition, changes in the size of the respiratory tract of the nose and pharynx are estimated. It allows getting rid of snoring in terms of such surgery. The doctor uses modern computer programming for this. Due to such preparation, a specialist thinks through every step, even if there is a problem situation. It allows you to see the expected result and protect yourself from possible difficulties in treatment.
How is the surgery performed?
Orthognathic surgery is usually indicated for patients over 18 years old. Bone growth period ends at that age. The procedure can last from 1 to 6 hours (depending on the degree of complexity).
Orthognathic surgery may involve both one or two jaws. If necessary, the surgeon performs enlargement of the upper jaw, genioplasty (chin correction), and other elements of the surgery. Experienced surgeons are able to cope with tasks of any complexity.
Today, minimally invasive techniques are preferential, in the orthognathia field as well. There is a complex of various methods, procedures, and techniques that allow making such surgeries to be more sparing. Correction of defects is performed through the oral cavity with the help of small incisions and surgical procedures. Due to this, the formation of scars and cicatrices on the face is excluded.
Orthognathic surgery results
After orthognathic surgery has been performed in a competent way, facial harmony is normalized, the abnormal bite is removed, speech defects are eliminated partially or completely, eating disorders do not disturb as well. Besides the fact the patient after surgery does not have functional defects of a congenital or acquired nature, he feels more confident and attractive due to improved appearance. Quality of life changes very much for the better.
After the orthognathic procedure, the surgeon gives the patient recommendations on the rehabilitation process. In addition, together with an orthodontist, they develop an individual orthodontic treatment. The patient has to wear braces before and after surgery. The terms are determined by a specialist for each patient individually.
Advantages of undergoing orthognathic surgery at Certus clinic
In our clinic, orthognathic surgery implies several advantages:
- treatment is carried out by a surgeon in cooperation with an orthodontist, which allows achieving the most effective result;
- due to the minimally invasive procedure, the recovery period is shortened, and after surgery, there are no scars on the face;
- there are only experienced professionals with excellent qualification;
- the result of the surgery is noticeable immediately.
Experienced surgeons and orthodontists are available for you at Certus clinic. They can help you to restore the functionality and aesthetics of the bones of the facial skull, bite, teeth. Arrange a visit to a doctor to find out if you need orthognathic treatment and how to get it.
Malarplasty (zigoma reduction)
Remodeling of the upper jaw
Remodeling of the lower jaw
Genioplasty (chin bone surgery)
Mandible angle resection
V-line square jaw surgery (angles and chin resection)
Segmental maxillary osteotomy
Zygomatic-orbital complex reconstruction
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 2 hours) – 200 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.
- Aesthetic surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Beauty Injections
- ENT Services
Our experts will contact you soon. Your contact information will not be passed to the third persons.