Lip surgery or cheiloplasty is a procedure aimed at changing the shape and the size of the lips on the face. Cheiloplasty can be performed in a non-invasive (injection) or surgical way.
Сheiloplasty before and after
Non-invasive (non-surgical) cheiloplasty refers to minimally invasive procedures. It allows to enhance the lips by means of injectable hyaluronic acid fillers (lip contour plasty) or the patient’s own fat (lipofilling of the lips).
Indications for сheiloplasty
Surgical сheiloplasty is performed in order to:
- Reduce / enhance the volume of the lips.
- Correct the lip contour.
- Remove asymmetry.
- Lift the corners of the mouth.
- Correct lip deformities – “cleft lip”, cicatricial deformity, oral synechia.
General contraindications: cancer, cardiovascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder.
- “Kesselring” surgery – removal of the skin above the vermilion border of the upper lip or under the vermilion border of the lower lip. The mucous membrane of the lip is slightly everted which leads to augmentation of the vermilion border and the lips volume.
- “The bullhorn” lip lift – enhancement of the vermilion border and reduction of the skin area of the upper lip due to excision of the skin under the nose wings. As a result of the surgery, the distance between the nose and the upper lip is reduced, the upper lip becomes swollen.
- “V-Y” plasty – pushing the mucous membrane of the lips forward in order to enhance the vermilion border and reduce the lip horizontally for the achievement of “Cupid’s bow” effect.
- The corner lip lift technique – removal of the skin fragment above the corners of the mouth and some tissues from the inner side of the mouth with simultaneous lifting of the outer corners of the mouth.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1 day.
Duration of the surgery: 30-60 minutes (depending on cheiloplasty method). The surgery can take place on an outpatient basis (the patient goes home after the surgery) or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedating medications.
Incision options: along the contour of the lips or in the oral mucosa. Performing the bullhorn lip lift, the incision is made under the nose. The incisions are sutured with dissolvable stitches.
*Recovery period: approximately 7 days.
*Side effects: temporary swellings, bruises, sensation of pain, sensory decrement.
*Risks: acute inflammatory processes, cicatricial deformity of the lips, visible scars, sensory decrement.
*The result: after the surgical cheiloplasty is permanent. The exception is the corner lip lift surgery, the effect of this procedure lasts for 1-2 years.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
upper lip plasty
lower lip plasty
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 2 hours) – 200 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.