Toe deformation correction
One of the most common toe deformations is hallux valgus, the great toe deformation, and hammer toes.
Toe deformation correction before and after
At such a pathology the great (first) toe is dislocated medially and its bone deviates laterally, with bunion, and other toes (as a rule, the second and the fifth ones) bend in the form of a hammer (hammertoe). These deformations are often accompanied by toe twists over each other, pain in joints and painful blisters.
Possible causes of deformations
- Platypodia (flat foot).
- Joint diseases (arthritis).
- Soft tissue inflammation.
- Uncomfortable footware.
- Professional activity (sport, ballet).
Types and pecularities of the surgery
During the surgery the toe deformation is corrected, toes are placed in the right position and bunions are removed. If necessary, a radical treatment is carried out – the arch of foot is corrected and flat foot is eliminated.
Methods of surgery manipulations depend on the types of deformation: deformations can be soft (non-rigit) and fixed (rigid).
- In case of soft (non-rigit) deformation surgery is performed on soft tissues – tendons and plantar ligaments.
- Fixed (rigit) deformations require surgery on bones, including osteotomy, in order to:
- Remove bunion of the great toe.
- Reconstruct the toe’s bone.
- Balance the muscle around the joint to avoid deformation recurrence.
General contraindications: cancer, cardio-vascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid diseases, diabetis, blood-clotting disorder, inflammatory conditions in feet.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1-3 days.
Duration of the surgery: 1-3 hours (depending on the complexity and type of the surgery). The patient stays in a clinical setting for 1-3 days.
Anaesthesis: general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with sedative medications.
Incision options: internal foot surface, intertoe spaces.
*Recovery period. After the surgery the patient wears an elestic hermetic bandage on their foot. Weight bearing on the whole foot is possible after 1 month. The stitches are removed in 7-10 days.
*Side effects: temporary bruises, swellings, moderate pain in the foot, restrictions of movement.
*Risks: infectious complications, hematomas, long healing, recurrence of the disease, insufficient correction of toe deformations.
*Result: permanent on conditions of properly chosen footware and corrective insoles.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
plastic surgery of the 1st toe from one side
plastic surgery of the 5th toe
Do you have to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
You can go through a laboratory examination before the procedure / operation in our clinic, or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation will be carried out under general anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. General blood and urine tests.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Coagulogram (blood coagulation).
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
7. The reaction of Wasserman.
9. The conclusion of the therapist.
10. Certificate of fluorography.
11. For women – a certificate from a gynecologist.
If the operation will be performed under local anesthesia, then you need to pass the following tests:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood test for sugar.
3. The coagulation time.
4. Blood test for the Australian antigen, hepatitis “C”, HIV.
5. General analysis of urine.
6. Blood type.
7. Certificate of fluorography.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 €
Is anesthesia included in the cost of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and time of its action.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) – 300 €
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally – 100 €
3. Intravenous anesthesia – 200 €
4. Local anesthesia – 100 €
After the operation, can I stay at your rehabilitation clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our hospital, this service is paid separately – from 100 € to 200 € per day.