Toe deformation correction
One of the most common toe deformations is hallux valgus, the great toe deformation, and hammer toes.
Toe deformation correction before and after
At such a pathology the great (first) toe is dislocated medially and its bone deviates laterally, with bunion, and other toes (as a rule, the second and the fifth ones) bend in the form of a hammer (hammertoe). These deformations are often accompanied by toe twists over each other, pain in joints and painful blisters.
Possible causes of deformations
- Platypodia (flat foot).
- Joint diseases (arthritis).
- Soft tissue inflammation.
- Uncomfortable footware.
- Professional activity (sport, ballet).
Types and pecularities of the surgery
During the surgery the toe deformation is corrected, toes are placed in the right position and bunions are removed. If necessary, a radical treatment is carried out – the arch of foot is corrected and flat foot is eliminated.
Methods of surgery manipulations depend on the types of deformation: deformations can be soft (non-rigit) and fixed (rigid).
- In case of soft (non-rigit) deformation surgery is performed on soft tissues – tendons and plantar ligaments.
- Fixed (rigit) deformations require surgery on bones, including osteotomy, in order to:
- Remove bunion of the great toe.
- Reconstruct the toe’s bone.
- Balance the muscle around the joint to avoid deformation recurrence.
General contraindications: cancer, cardio-vascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid diseases, diabetis, blood-clotting disorder, inflammatory conditions in feet.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1-3 days.
Duration of the surgery: 1-3 hours (depending on the complexity and type of the surgery). The patient stays in a clinical setting for 1-3 days.
Anaesthesis: general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with sedative medications.
Incision options: internal foot surface, intertoe spaces.
*Recovery period. After the surgery the patient wears an elestic hermetic bandage on their foot. Weight bearing on the whole foot is possible after 1 month. The stitches are removed in 7-10 days.
*Side effects: temporary bruises, swellings, moderate pain in the foot, restrictions of movement.
*Risks: infectious complications, hematomas, long healing, recurrence of the disease, insufficient correction of toe deformations.
*Result: permanent on conditions of properly chosen footware and corrective insoles.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
plastic surgery of the 1st toe from one side
plastic surgery of the 5th toe
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.