Gynecomastia is a disease where male representatives have enlarged breasts (one or both). The normal condition of the man's mammary gland is an underdeveloped organ that consists of a nipple, short ducts and a small layer of fatty tissue with a low bulge in the region of the nipple-areola complex.
Gynecomastia Surgery before and after
Gynecomastia may emerge due to many factors.
Causes of physiological gynecomastia:
- Hormonal disorders during the birth period, in adolescence life and aging of the body.
Reduced testosterone production.
An elevated level of estrogens and their derivatives in blood.
Causes of gynecomastia:
- Various diseases: testicular tumor, adrenal tumor, pulmonary tuberculosis, obesity, hepatic cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, cardiac decompensation, HIV infection, AIDS, etc.
- Drug consumption.
- Taking steroids that affect hormonal changes.
It should be kept in mind that gynecomastia may be a symptom of more serious disease. If there are calcifications in the breast, bloody issues from the nipples, enlarged lymph nodes in the underarm area, you need to contact an oncology specialist and a breast physician.
In case of hormone imbalance, gynecomastia treatment is carried out with the help of medications combined with surgical interference or without it.
Types of surgery
Surgical interference in case of gynecomastia is based on the degree of the fatty or glandular tissue development, gland ptosis and the amount of excess skin. The main method of treatment is the excision of the pathological tissue, which can be complemented with lipoaspiration.
There are two forms:
- The true form of gynecomastia (the volume of the glandular tissue is enlarged). It is treated by surgical removal of the gland tissue through an incision under the nipple-areola complex.
- The false form of gynecomastia (fat deposits are increased). It is treated by removing excess fatty tissues through small skin punctures.
General contraindications: cancer, cardiovascular and acute infectious diseases, chronic hypertensive disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1-3 hours.
Duration of the surgery: 1-2 hours. The patient stays in a clinical setting for 1-3 days.
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia.
*Recovery period. The stitches are removed in 5-7 days after the surgery. The patient wears a special compression dressing for 1 month.
*Side effects: slight soreness and a sense of discomfort.
*Risks: infectious complications, sustainable healing process, visible scars, a sensory decrement of the nipple-areola complex.
*Result: permanent on conditions of maintaining a stable weight, hormonal balance, and lack of bad habits.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
Mammary gland removal in case of gynecomastia using an incision along the areola (one side)
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 150 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.