Eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty is a surgery aimed to correct the eyelids and eyes area by means of the excision of excess skin and fat deposits, muscle tightening. Blepharoplasty allows to achieve a rejuvenating effect, as well as change the natural incision and shape of the eyes (canthoplasty).
Blepharoplasty before and after
Indications for blepharoplasty
- Overhang of the upper eyelids.
- Sagging of the lower eyelids.
- Fatty hernia of the eyelids (swollen eyelids, baggy eyelids).
- Drooping of the eyebrows and corners of the eyes.
- Severe nasolacrimal grooves.
- Congenital defects of the eyelids.
General contraindications: cancer disease, acute infections, arterial hypertension, eye disorders, heart disease, diseased vessels, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus, blood-clotting disorder.
Types of the surgery
Eyelid surgery is performed in order to remove excess skin and fat, strengthen muscles, lift eyebrows and outer corners of the eyes, as well as enhance the patient’s eyes.
There are several types of surgery, depending on the surgical site:
- Blepharoplasty of the upper eyelids is indicated in case of overhanging upper eyelid skin, and drooping of excess skin and fat on the eyes, that is why the patient has a limited visual field. The surgery is combined with the upper eyelid muscles, eyebrow line, and forehead lifting.
- Blepharoplasty of the lower eyelids is performed in case of deep folds and baggy eyelids. It is required to strengthen the muscle and tighten the temporal fossa additionally.
- Circular blepharoplasty involves the correction of both eyelids during one surgery.
- Transconjunctival blepharoplasty is performed for young patients, because they do not have excess skin, by removing fat deposits. Incisions are made on a mucous membrane (conjunctiva) of the eyelid.
How is the surgery performed in “Certus” clinic?
Pre-surgery examination: 1-3 days.
Duration of the surgery: from 30 minutes up to 2 hours (depending on the blepharoplasty type. The surgery can take place on an outpatient basis (the patient goes home after the surgery) or in a clinical setting (1 day).
Anaesthesis: general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedating medications.
Incision options: in the upper eyelid crease, right under the eyelashes or on the inner lining of the lower eyelid. The incisions are sutured with the thinnest surgical threads.
*Recovery period. The sutures are removed in 4-5 days after the surgery. During the first week, it is not recommended to strain the eyes. The swells and bruises (subcutaneous hemorrhages) disappear in 1-2 weeks. It is allowed to apply light makeup in 10-14 days. The primary result of the surgery is estimated in 2-3 weeks and the final one is in a couple of months.
*Side effects: tearing, temporary swellings, bruises, a sensation of pain in the eyes area, photophobia.
*Risks: sustainable healing process, infectious complications, conjunctivitis, eye asymmetry, the impossibility of complete eyelid closure.
*Result: medium or long-term, the duration of the result depends on the features of the human organism and its insenescence.
*The effect, result, risks, and recovery period depend on the individual peculiarities of the human body.
upper eyelid plasty with lateral brow lift
upper eyelid plasty with brow lift
lower eyelid plasty (transconjunctival blepharoplasty)
lower eyelid plasty (medium complexity)
lower eyelid plasty (high complexity)
lower eyelid plasty with fat repositioning to midface
lower eyelid plasty with mid facelift
upper eyelid plasty
upper eyelid plasty with ptosis repair
canthopexy (eye corners) as a component of blepharoplasty
canthopexy (eye corners)
canthoplasty (eye corners) as a component of blepharoplasty
canthoplasty (eye corners)
Do I need to undergo examinations or tests before the procedure / operation?
Laboratory examination before the procedure / operation you can pass in our clinic or at the place of residence, depending on the type of anesthesia.
If the operation takes place under general anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Full blood count and urine tests.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Blood type and Rh factor.
4. Clotting assay.
5. Biochemical blood test.
6. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
7. Wasserman reaction.
9. Physician’s examination
10. Chest X-ray.
11. Gynecologist’s examination.
12. For breasts surgery – breast ultrasound examination, examination by a breast specialist.
If the operation will take place under local anesthesia, then the following tests should be taken:
1. Complete blood count (with formula) + platelets.
2. Blood glucose test.
3. Clotting assay.
4. Blood test for HBsAg, Anti-HCV Ig(G+M), Anti-HIV ½.
5. Urine test.
6. Blood type.
7. Chest X-ray.
The cost of the examination in our clinic is 50-100 $.
Anesthesia is included in the price of the service?
The cost of anesthesia is not included in the cost of the procedure and is paid separately depending on its type and duration.
1. General short-term anesthesia (up to 3 hours) - 300 $
2. Each subsequent hour of general anesthesia additionally - 100 $
3. Intravenous anesthesia - 200 $
4. Local anesthesia - 100 $
After surgery, will I be able to stay in your clinic?
The postoperative period you can spend in our clinic. This service is paid separately - from 100 $ up to 200 $ per day.